Electric chainsaws are getting more popular every day.
The main reason being that they’re an affordable way to buy a chainsaw to do common yard cutting tasks.
But, “How good are electric chainsaws?”, you ask. “Are electric chainsaws good for cutting down trees, slicing up firewood, or clearing brush?”
Those are the questions I’m going to answer for you in this guide.
I’ll also go over another topic that may be on your mind: Are electric chainsaws safer than gas-powered models?
By the end of this page, you’ll know if an electric chainsaw is a good option for you or not.
And, if you do find that it’s a good fit, I invite you to visit my best corded electric chainsaw reviews page and my cordless electric chainsaw reviews page. Those additional guides will show you how to pick the best electric chainsaw for your cutting needs.
Or, if you want to see what all types of chainsaws are available, go to my top rated chainsaws page.
So, let’s get started!
How Good Are Electric Chainsaws?
To answer the question, “are electric chainsaws good?”, we first need to go over the advantages of electric chainsaws. Then, we’ll talk about the disadvantages before discussing which types of cutting jobs electric chainsaws are best suited for.
Pros of Electric Chainsaws
Electric chainsaws have a lot of advantages, including:
- Lighter — Unlike gas chainsaws that use an engine, electric chainsaws are powered by an electrical motor. This design makes electric chainsaws much lighter than gas chainsaws. The average weight for an electric chainsaw is 10 lbs. or less.
- Smaller — Since electric chainsaws have fewer engine parts, these tools have a more compact size. You can also get one with a smaller blade size than a gas chainsaw, such as 6 or 8 inches.
- Easier to Use — With a smaller size and lighter weight, electric chainsaws are easier to use for longer periods of time. They also allow you to reach into tough spots when cutting trees.
- Constant Power — Electric chainsaws run forever as long as they’re plugged into a power source. There is no stopping to refuel like in a gas chainsaw.
- Less Maintenance — Electric chainsaws are easier to maintain since they don’t run on fuel. Carburetor engines, like those in gas chainsaws, must be well-maintained or they’ll break down.
- Less Noise — Without a loud engine to power the chain, electric chainsaws are much quieter. Plus, these tools only make a sound when you pull the trigger. They’re silent during idle.
- Cordless Options Exist — Electric chainsaws come in two types: corded and cordless. You can buy a battery powered chainsaw which gives you much more freedom for where you can use the tool.
Cons of Electric Chainsaws
Electric chainsaws are not perfect. There are some minor inconveniences to these tools that make them not so good for everyone.
Here are the most common disadvantages to electric chainsaws:
- Less Powerful — Electric chainsaws don’t have as much power as gas chainsaws. Therefore, it’ll take you longer to cut through a piece of wood (or tree) when using an electric chainsaw. However, electric chainsaws don’t require fuel so they can run forever without stopping.
- Limited by Cord Length — An electric chainsaw can only be used so far from the power source. If you need to cut wood that’s far away, you’ll need to make sure that the extension cord you’re using has enough length.
- Requires a Power Source — If the power source even fails or goes out, you can’t run an electric chainsaw. This can be a problem in cases where you’re using an electric chainsaw for storm cleanup and there is no active power source to plug into.
What Are Electric Chainsaws Good For?
Now that you know the pros and cons of electric chainsaws, you’re probably wondering what are electric chainsaws are good for?
The best uses and people who would benefit from an electric chainsaw include:
- Simple Cutting Tasks — An electric chainsaw is great for trimming limbs, removing branches, and clearing brush around your yard. They’re also great for reaching high up into a tree with an extension pole.
- Smaller Tree Felling — If you have a lot of smaller trees in your yard that you want to cut down (i.e. felling), an electric chainsaw can get the job done easily and relatively quickly.
- Quick Jobs — If you have cutting tasks that you want to do fast, an electric chainsaw is a great tool for the job. Unlike gas chainsaws that require you to mix fuel with oil, fill it up, pull the starting cord, etc. an electric chainsaw just has to be plugged in and pull the trigger to get started cutting.
- People On a Budget — Electric chainsaws are good for people on a budget. These tools are the cheapest chainsaws you can buy.
- Beginner Users — Electric chainsaws are good for new chainsaw operators because they’re smaller, lighter, and easier to use.
Are Electric Chainsaws Safer?
This is a common question people have when they’re trying to find out how good are electric chainsaws.
Because electric chainsaws are easier to operate than gas chainsaws, you may think that they’re a safer tool to use; however, that’s not necessarily the case.
The truth is that all chainsaws present the same dangers regardless of how it’s powered. They all use a sharp spinning chain to cut wood. And that chain is what can injury you as the operator.
So, are electric chainsaws safer?
In some ways, an electric chainsaw may actually be more dangerous to a person who’s using a chainsaw for the first time. That’s because the chainsaw’s compact design and light weight can make it seem more “toy-like”.
So, always use extreme caution when using an electric chainsaw and treat it with the same care and respect as you would a gas chainsaw to prevent a serious injury.
Electric Chainsaws Are a Good Deal
Now that you know the answers to the questions, “are electric chainsaws good?” and “are electric chainsaws safer?”, you may be wondering what’s the best electric chainsaw you can buy.
Both of those pages include the top electric chainsaws you can buy today in both corded and cordless models. They also show you what the top features are to look for in a chainsaw of those types so you can get the best one for your needs.
Or, if you just want to browse the top 10 chainsaws in gas, electric, and battery operated models, visit my top rated chainsaws page.
I hope this guide answered all of your questions on how good are electric chainsaws.